Due to planned maintenance, Auditor’s Real Estate Search and Clerk of Courts Case Record Search will be unavailable on October 9, 2023 only.
The Crawford County Courthouse, located at 112 E. Mansfield Street in Bucyrus, Ohio, currently houses Common Pleas, Juvenile, Probate and Municipal Courts. The adjacent Administration Building contains the county offices of Auditor, Commissioners, Board of Elections, Ohio State University Extension Office, Prosecutor, Recorder, Treasurer, and Veterans Service Office.
First built in 1854, the Courthouse construction requirements were the walls were to be brick that were a minimum of 16” thick. It was constructed to resemble an Old Roman building with steps that lead to a pediment supported by four wooden columns.
In 1893, the first addition was put on that doubled the original size.
In 1908, the cornerstone was laid for the second addition. This renovation gave the Courthouse its present look as well as adding additional space. The wooden columns were replaced with stone, the bricks were covered with stone, Colonel Crawford was added to the front and the cupula was changed to the current dome. The courtroom was remodeled to its present appearance. The stained glass dome was designed to be the centerpiece of the courtroom.
In 1969, a four-story addition of over 16,000 square feet was added to the north side.
In 1979, a new skylight was installed over the dome in the main courtroom to prevent deterioration.
In 2001, a five-story addition, consisting of 40,000 square feet was completed. This Administration Building is for supporting government agencies.
In 2003, a large renovation of the Courthouse was completed. This renovation included an addition of approximately 2500 square feet and updating of the existing space.
In 2016, the clock tower was renovated and the copper dome was replaced.